It’s hard to believe that it is already mid-August. But you know what that means? Some of the year’s best races are quickly approaching. One of my summer favorites is the 4 Mile Dune Dash. The Dune Dash is the epitome of Leelanau County running. Here are five reasons why I’m excited to run the Dune Dash this year:
- Perhaps the most visited area of the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is the famous Dune Climb. The Dune Dash starts and ends at the base of the Dune Climb. Therefore, participants can warm-up for the race by ascending the sandy hill and have a leisurely climb up after to enjoy the view. (Do ittttttttt)
- This race takes place on the smooth Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail. Runners and walkers will be submerged into the deep forests of the National Lakeshore. And bonus: ALL proceeds from this race benefit the Heritage Trail. Keep updated on the happenings of this excellent trail system here.
- The Dune Dash organizers are giving away a Yeti Cooler this year. Be there or be square, because you know you need something to put your post-race beers in.
- This course is mostly FLAT. (I mean, there are a view slopes, but nothing worth mentioning). So bring your speed shoes – this is a fun race for going all out.
- This is a 4 Mile race. How many organized 4 milers exist? I can’t think of any others. This unique distance is fun because it is longer than a 5k, but still not too long where you need to spend the full day recovering. (Think, energy leftover for the Dune Climb after!)
This year’s Dune Dash takes place on August 18th at 9AM. Register here to participate in this awesome event.