I recently had the joy of participating in a conversation with runners about their biggest pet peeves within the running world. Below are a few that we discussed. Please feel free to comment and add pet peeves of your own. These crack me up.
- When someone refers to any distance as a marathon. For example, “I ran the 5k marathon last weekend.” No, Daryl, no you did not.
- When you just start out in a race and a spectator shouts, “You’re almost there!” Ok, Clyde. Go sit in your car.
- Awful race signs. At my first marathon, there was a man holding a sign at the .2 mark that said, “Only 26 more miles!” I continue to hate this unknown man.
- Wardrobe malfunctions. Recently I went on a run where my shirt kept riding up, my pants kept slipping down, and my shoe came untied three times. Running is hard enough. Stay in place, shiz.
- Catcalling runners. For a refresher on how to leave runners alone, check out this post.
- When you’re trying to pass some people but they are running or walking 4 wide and you can’t get by.
- When non-runners ask you if you won your most recent race.
- When your GPS watch malfunctions. Accuracy or death, bro.
- When you’re crossing a road at red light and a car is parked on the cross-walk. It’s cool, I’ll just run into the intersection to get around you.
- When public forums complain about runners and say, “Roads are for cars.” I can’t even.
- Being chased by an unleashed dog while the owner just waves and says, “Don’t worry, he’s friendly!” But is he going to follow me all the way home?
- When races don’t start on time. Listen, no one held the race for me when I was stuck in the porta-potty line. Snooze or lose, suckers.
- Referring to running as “jogging.” Pssh. Jogging is for mall walkers.
- People who show up to a 5k with 3 water bottles, 6 gels, and a hydration pack.
- Cars turning right at a red light without yielding to pedestrians. HELLO!
- Inhaling bugs or getting them stuck in your eyelashes while running in the summer. Can I call this fuel?
- When spectators smoke at a race. ARE YOU KIDDING
- When a non-runner finds out your time in a race and says, “Well that’s not bad.” Ok, Susan, you just keep that couch warm.
That’s the list so far! Like I said, I’d love to hear from you about your pet peeves within the running world. Cheers and happy running!