I own the book ‘Trails of M22.’ It details 40 different trails along M22 and makes me positively giddy. (PS You can pick up your own copy through the Leelanau Conservancy)
People frequently ask me about trails in Leelanau County. They like to know what are the best trails for running, hiking, snowshoeing, cross country skiing, etc. People like to know the distance of each trail, whether they are good for winter running, if they have bathrooms at the trail head, and so many more questions that I fall short of answering.
In 2018, I will be putting together a Leelanau Trail Guide for Runners. You see, ‘Trails of M22’ is a great book for locating the trails, however, it leaves many questions unanswered. Believe it or not, I’m a planner; Type A personality to the max. So I need to know exactly what I’m getting myself into for a trail run.
As a runner, these are the things I want to know about a trail prior to running it:
- Is there a bathroom at the trail head?
- Is there a place for me to change into my running clothes?
- Is it well-marked or will I run in circles and get lost?
- What are the distance options of the trails?
- Is it hilly? Lots of roots to look out for?
- What are the highlights of the trail? Scenic overlook?
- Is this trail used year round?
- Can people hunt on this property?
Those are my questions, but I bet there are more out there from fellow runners.
I need some help from you fine folks!
What kind of information do you want to know about trails before you run them? I’m happy to do the brutal work of exploring each trail (cough cough), but let me know if there is something specific you need to know and I will fully investigate.
Feliz 2018 and happy running!